
In the favelas, I researched the role of sport as a tool for peace and societal integration. Now, on the waters of the Potomac, I work as a volunteer for DC Sail and the National Maritime Heritage Foundation. NMHF is a non-profit that educates underpriveleged inner city youth through the sport of sailing.
The mission and goals of NMHF support many of my research conclusions about the use of sport in the prevention and resolution stages of conflict. I am convinced that violence and hate can be abated, and cultural barriers can be triumphed through the effective use of sport. In my day job I am inundated with how the U.S. government responds to conflict. But since my job focuses on global conflict in failed, failing, and post-conflict regions, I feel all too often that I am missing out on the practical application. Working with NMHF has given me the opportunity to see how conflict resolution works in my own community. I get to work hands on, "in the field", to help bridge social divides and educate local children.


No comments:
Post a Comment