27 March 2008

Research Associateship in Rio de Janeiro, Brasil

The research grant committee convened last Friday to make a decision on my research proposal. My proposal outlined the conflict between the favelas (slums) of Rio and the state. The focus of my research would be focused around three main areas. One, is an Urban Planning approach to development for the favelas. Second, the role of sports as a tool for peace. And third, a further look at the violent relationship between the drug controlled favelas and the corrupt police and city officials.

I came home a little discouraged this afternoon following another rough day of surfing off Goat Island. With my board tucked under my arm, I made my way to the mailbox, frustrated as to why I haven't been able to time my "push off!" My frustration turned to elation as I opened the mailbox and pulled out a thick envelope addressed to me from BYU-Hawaii. I anxiously ripped open the envelope and nearly threw my roommate's surfboard across the street when I read their decision to grant me the Assistantship in Rio after graduation! I am to leave the week after finals. They granted me a generous sum of money so I could answer my pending research questions and live in Rio during the months of May and June. I'm on cloud nine! I can't wait to visit the favelas I've been studying, and go back to Sao Paulo to see my friends again. All I can think about is all the Açaí, Maracujá, Manga, Feijao e Arroz, and Churrasco I will eat. Ohhh, and the Guaraná. Cold Guaraná with fresh lime.

4 comments:

  1. Brazil sounds like such a beautiful place--so glad that you have the opportunity to go back there, you told us how you have such lovely memories there of your mission. hope its everything you're hoping for. have fun --fun fun!! send/or bring us a post card back with you of one of your favorite adventures K? (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Will! How the heck are ya? Congrats on being able to go back!That'd be so amazing. I've been to Wyoming once... that's about as far as my travels have taken me.

    ReplyDelete