25 January 2009

A day at the United Nations

I highly recommend to anyone visiting New York City to set aside a half day to visit and tour the United Nations. The tour is only $8.00, and if you get a knowledgeable tour guide, you will have a great time. And make sure to go downstairs. While I found the food at the café below average and overpriced, the bookstore downstairs is fascinating. But the portion of the tour that left the most sound impression was the United Nations General Assembly.





When I walked into the General Assembly I immediately felt inspired. An overwhelming feeling of awe came over me. I imagined Che Guevara as he walked down the same aisle where I was standing to deliver his statement before the Assembly in 1964. I could almost hear the voices of the now, 192 member nations, adopting the resolution on the role of diamonds in fuelling conflict. I could only imagine the discussion, debates and arguments that must have taken place in session. I do not believe there is another room on this earth where more languages are spoken simultaneously. A strange contrast to my visit on January 2, 2009. The Hall was empty, and only one language was being spoken.







2 comments:

  1. Great photos, you have got so much going right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are clearly having too much fun. I'm glad you posted the presidental stuff on facebook for us to see also.

    ReplyDelete